Sunday, May 31, 2015

Making of Raspberry Madness by Tuna Unalan


Making of Raspberry Madness by Tuna Unalan

[ #3D ]
Last month We've featured the incredible realistic food rendering by Tuna Unalan. Add today Tuna has shared us his Making of tutorial showing the step by step how he use Maya, V-Ray, Mari, Photoshop, ZBrush, Nuke to create this "Raspberry Madness" Project.

Inspiration

My main inspiration behind “Raspberry Madness” is food photography. I also ran into renders of other types of food on different CG forums. My inspiration comes from other artists as well.

Reference

I gathered reference images and built a library by collecting images from the internet. That way I was able to roughly visualize the final look of the scene in my head and think of ways to improve my workflow. I looked at certain food in my hand to better understand what kind of shader I was going to recreate, like raspberries and chocolate bars. 

Modeling

I started creating base geometry to figure out a good composition in Maya. Once the composition was roughly the way I imagined. I started importing my base geometry into ZBrush to sculpt and add details. I put a raspberry image as my background to help get the shape right. I was able to group each piece of the raspberry and make them as unique as possible. In order to create believable models, I tried to stay away from repetition as much as possible.




Texturing

- I used Mari to texture majority of the scene. CGTextures was my source to find good and high quality textures. For the wooden tray, I used 3 different wood textures to create the look of weathered wood. I exported the color map from Mari as a TIFF file at 4k resolution. For the blueberries I started with a procedural Cloud texture in Mari and picked my colors from a reference blueberry image. I picked different tones of blue to create a variety. When I was happy with the dark and bright spots, I started adding dirt, spots and other imperfections. At the end, I was able to color correct everything to match my reference. I exported the color map from Mari as a TIFF file at 1k resolution. Raspberries were mostly shader work but I still used a diffuse layer from a 2d hair texture that I found on the internet. Raspberries are mostly subsurface with a thin layer of diffuse.

Lighting

Lighting was crucial for the look of the entire scene. I ended up using 2 area lights; 1 as my Key and the other as my Rim Light. I also used an HDR as a Fill. Rim Light had a tint of blue to add a more natural feel. I set my key light first, and then adjusted my shadows to find a good balance between what is lit and what needs to be in the shade. The raspberries needed to have a nice SSS falloff from the key light. I also looked at how food photographers use their lighting and tried to use a similar idea as guidance. 

Look Development

For the Look Development process, I created a neutral light rig, which means all my lights were white and there were no color bouncing to alter the look of my textures or shaders. For the subsurface shaders I started the look development with a single light to adjust the scattering. For the raspberries, I was trying to figure out how deep the light must travel and how to get that gummy look. I was mostly looking at the SSS channel and ignoring diffuse, reflection and specular.
For the rest of the shaders I put a few more lights in and started testing other shaders. No post work done on these images. 

Render Elements Compositing

It takes 2 hours for rendering a still frame at 2K resolution. Roughly 1 hour per frame at 1K resolution for a camera animation. For this project Nuke played a big role in the final look of the scene. I was able to save a lot of time down the road. V-ray offers a great amount of flexibility in creating your passes so I took a lot of advantage of it. I assembled back the render elements back in Nuke in order to have control over every aspect of the image. Passes sped up my workflow tremendously. I was able to save a lot of time down the road. I was able to adjust how much of what I wanted easily without having to re-render the whole image. I did quite a bit of color correction that helped the raspberries to become the focal point in the scene. 
I have also written a more in depth explanation of the process on CG Student Awards. Here is a link to the full tutorial here 



About Tuna Unalan

Was born in Turkey and now living in NYC. Tuna Unalan is a CG Generalist with a concentration in lighting, rendering and look development. He recently graduated from Savannah College of Art and Design with a BFA degree in Visual Effects and a minor in Technical Direction. For more of his work please check his latest reel and don't miss his website: http://www.tunaunalan.com/


0 comments:

Post a Comment

ADF

Popular Posts

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.